Promoting Healthier Backs in Warrington
How does the Alexander Technique help with back pain?
One of the factors in non-specific low back pain is thought to be abnormal muscle tone with harmful uncoordinated tension of longitudinal and diagonal muscles along the spine and elsewhere, leading to shortening of the spine and compression of vertebrae and discs.
During Alexander Technique lessons the teacher assesses where there is unwanted tightening of muscles and helps the pupil recognize self-damaging habits that cause or aggravate their pain and to avoid them.
Once the pupil has learnt to recognise these harmful habits they are well on the way to helping themselves to solving their back pain problem. Learning how to carry out daily activities such as sitting, standing and bending in an easier and less harmful way can help eradicate the causes of back pain.
The Alexander Technique:
1. Has no side effects and is safe
2. Addresses the bio-psycho-social nature of chronic pain
3. Teaches you to identify the habits that might be creating your pain
4. Teaches you skills to improve body awareness
5. Helps you to know what to do to change the pain
6. Helps with pain that is related to posture, tension or movement patterns
7. Is a good alternative if pain treatments don’t work
8. Teaches you to work with yourself to change the pain
9. Calms the nervous system
10. Improves coordination
11. Looks at the whole system and reduces pressure on the whole system so the pain response is less likely
to be triggered
12. Gives you coping strategies
13. Gives you a new dimension for thinking about pain
Would you like to experience some of these benefits?
Special Course of 6 sessions £225 specifically aimed at those with back pain to get you back moving again. This course of 6 lessons will include the following
- A detailed assessment of your posture, possible causes of any pain or discomfort.
- Body mapping and functional anatomy or as I call it living anatomy, teaching you the principle joints used in movement so that you can discover greater freedom of movement and can get back to the activities you enjoy doing.
- Sitting at a computer comfortably
- Bending - how to bend without wincing
- Applying the principles to everyday life such as driving, walking or gardening.
- Using the arms and shoulders properly to avoid pain & improve your posture
- I will give you the skills and techniques to help you to help yourself giving you the confidence to move without the thought of pain
Book your back pain course now tel: 07854 025726 and start your journey to becoming pain free
Medical evidence supports Alexander Technique as an efffective treatment for back pain
In August 2008 a clinical trial was published in the British Medical Journal.
This scientific study compared the effectiveness of Alexander Technique lessons exercise and massage for chronic and recurrent back pain.
This video explains the full details of the trial and how the Alexander Technique can help you to reduce back pain.